Chrome OS vs Android – Simply Ridiculous!
Yesterday I was trawling through some of my favourite tech blogs as is my usual practice. In my years of reading tech news; it’s quite normal for me to find ridiculous articles. Ones that are meant to catch the reader’s eye rather than convey sense and logic.
Well…yesterday I found such an article on Gigaom which did exactly that. In my opinion it was as if the author had regurgitated his lunch, stuffed it into his floppy drive and emailed it for publication.
Well, whats got me riled is the proverbial Chrome OS vs Android debate which seems to have ignited on the web quite recently. There is a general feeling that with the successes of Android OS; “why would Google still pursue Chrome OS”?
Indeed even this past week Google launched it’s “Google TV” platform which will be powered by Android. More so, a lot of companies have began to develop a plethora of Android OS based tablets to compete with the Ipad (most of them set to sell for less that $200). So indeed, Android is successful; but how about a closer look at the two operating systems:
- Android is primarily a “phone” operating system. This means that more than 90% of Android products shipped today are mobile phones. Having an OS geared towards small devices like phones, maybe PDA’s and small tablets is logical. This means developers can develop Apps for devices that have similar capabilities and specifications. Imagine an OS that spans from mobile phones to Netbooks…how in the world would you develop for it? And imagine how hard it would be to find the right App (for your device) in the Android market?
- Android is a “native” OS meaning that the Apps are installed on the phone. Imagine how much bandwidth you would have to use if your phone had a “cloud OS” like Chrome OS? I’d love to see your bill at the end of each month!
- How about we take a lead from Apple? You don’t see millions of people pushing Apple to marry Iphone OS with Leopard; neither does Microsoft do the same with their Windows Phone 7 and Windows 7. It would seem utterly ridiculous; hence why are people prescribing this insanity for Google??
- The purpose for Chrome OS is not just to run HTML5 Apps as some seem to suggest. With the release of the Google Web Store you can use a Web App on any device that has the Chrome browser. It seems like people forget the main reason why Chrome OS was such a big craze when it was announced…I’ll remind you; 8 second boot time, security and absolute simplicity. I’d like to see Android do any of that.
- Finally, the most obvious argument is; just because Android was a success in mobile phones, Who the heck told you it will succeed in netbooks, tablets or maybe even desktops?This argument of flouting Android’s success is simply dishonest because Chrome OS hasn’t even had a chance!
It’s ridiculous what people write on the web in order to get hits. Android and Chrome OS are like Apples and oranges; why assume mutual exclusivity when they can coexist? Even so Google has announced that there will be greater convergence of the two OS’s in the future, but this is more likely to be Android converging into Chrome OS than the other way round.
Therefore, to all the Android fan-boys out there…please take a step back.
Search tags for this page
android or chromium on netbook
android os vs chrome os
android vs chrome
android vs chrome os
android vs chromium on netbook
chrome os vs android
chrome os vs android 4.2
chrome os vs android os
chrome os vs. android
chrome vs android
chrome vs android os tablets
chromeos vs android
chromium vs android
google chrome os vs android
google os vs android os