Gaming In Chrome OS – Analysis
Like any operating system, no matter how secure, fast and delightful; the average user will not embrace it unless it comes with some delightfully tasty goodies. The launch of Iphone OS and more-so the Ipad are a testament to this. Apple’s success in luring the consumer with a snazy UI, addictive games and video is arguably the main reason for Apple’s success after it’s recent Ipad launch.
Google has hardly spoken of the multimedia capabilities of Chrome OS and rather has focused on it’s productivity and security. It comes at no surprise that many are already questioning the viability of the Chrome OS project in light of the success of Android. This is where gaming comes in:
During the second day of Google’s I/O event last week, Google announced their plans for an App store; namely the “Google Web Store”. Google was clear on it’s outlook for HTML 5 and the future of Web Apps. This didn’t just include the usual demonstration of productivity software such as Google Docs; rather the presentation took a fascinating turn when Google chose to showcase the power of HTML 5 in gaming.
The most illustrative demo was one of “Lego Star Wars”, a 3d action game which is still under development. (Check out the pictures above)
Possible Impact of Gaming In Chrome OS
- Chrome OS seems like a possible godsend for the online gaming industry. With the online App store; online games will no longer be scattered around the web but rather will be easily accessible for the average user.
- The Web Store isn’t just an advantage for users but rather, potential developers who will have a completely new and lucrative platform to develop for.
- Gaming could revive the Chrome OS hype. The biggest hype for the Iphone was gaming and moreso for the Ipad. Chrome OS needs to be packaged as a product that consumers actually want, a product they can enjoy. Hence gaming might give Chrome OS a worthwhile lease on life.
- The pink elephant in the room is; Bandwidth! If 3d intensive games are to run smoothly there’s a need for fast and constant Internet connection. Most Chrome OS powered devices will probably come with 3g modems. This is arguably insufficient and there is already much concern; some argue that our network infrastructure isn’t “ready” for Chrome OS. Most ISP’s still offer a maximum of only 1gb per month bandwidth.
- The calibre of the games is key. We want immersive 3d gaming experiences; not just the mandane chess games. If Chrome OS is to attract users, they need to show that Chrome OS has something more to offer than e.g. Iphone OS on the Ipad.
- Android is arguably a threat from Chrome OS. Android already does a lot of things that Chrome OS is touted to do. The question though is; ” Will Chrome OS games be better than those on my Android phone or tablet or will they offer something different and worthwhile”.
With bated breadth we wait…we wait for games; plenty of them!
Search tags for this page
chrome os and gaming
chrome os for games
chrome os game
chrome os games
chrome os gaming
chromium os games
gameng on chrome os
games for chromium os
gaming for chrome os
gaming on chrome os
how successful is chrome games